Re: Compiling ALSA modules on sparc 2.4 kernel

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 23:10 -0600, Chance Platt wrote:

> Hi all
>
> >From previous experience outside of Debian, I know that ALSA modules
> don't build against the 2.4 linux kernel branch on sparc64 because, from
> what I understand, the module-building facilities of 2.4 don't adjust to
> compile the modules 64-bit.
>
> For the sake of trying, I compiled a custom 2.4.27 from Debian sources,
> and then attempted to build the alsa modules (using make-kpkg
> throughout).  Here is the output of make-kpkg modules_image from base of
> the kernel source tree:
<snip>

> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/ksyms.ver:702:1: warning: this is
> the locat ion of the previous definition
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:79: Error: detected global register use not covered
> by .registe r pseudo-op
<snip>
> {standard input}:85: Error: detected global register use not covered
> by .registe r pseudo-op
<snip>
> Is it futile to try to get ALSA to compile against a 2.4 kernel in
> Debian on sparc64?

I recall running into a similar bug while compiling a custom sparc
kernel.  IIRC it is a slight syntax error, perhaps it is a change in how
the assembler works.  Anyway, adding '.global g0' seemed to fix it.
Check the syntax of the block of assembler - it may be simple.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin