Re: Ultra 10 max HDD capacity?

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 06:18:16AM -0800, Bruce Harrison wrote:
>    Is this the same for an Ultra 5 Sparcstation?
> Also, any experience with a 5400 RPM drive vs. 7200
> drive in the same unit?  My 9 GB is getting a little
> tight, but all I have on my "parts shelf" is a 40 GB
> 5400 drive.  I know a 7200 RPM drive is the better
> choice, but before I spend the time installing the
> 5400 RPM drive I though I'd check here for any
> experiences.

You're unlikely to have problems with the 40 GB drive, I have a 60 GB
IBM IC35L060AVV207-0 in an Ultra 5 and it's working just fine.

Then again, hdparm -i reports:

 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5

Meaning this "mdma2" is the selected mode - not sure what that means.

However, it reports the same for both the original 20 GB disk and the newer
60 GB disk, so it's unlikely to be a major problem.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.