Re: 2.6.16-rc2 sparc32 (and sparc64) kernel images available

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:18:16PM +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:

IIRC, the size limit is 3.4MB for sparc64 and 2.4 for sparc32. However,
the uncompressed size of vmlinuz is 2.1MB, so I may be wrong.

Well I am wrong. 2.1MB is the size of the 2.6.8 image. The one of the
2.6.16rc2 is 2.9MB. That explains the problem, we have 500kB of stuff to
remove...

That's not really necessary. We are usually reducing the size of the kernel to acceptable by stripping the sparc32 kernel of non-essential sections by running the command:

strip -R .comment -R .note -K sun4u_init -K _end -K _start arch/sparc/boot/image

I've implemented it in the new packaging system too, and I see in the build log that it has been invoked, however the image which got into the deb appears to be unstripped. I'll investigate that. In the meantime use this command to reduce the image size on installed system (you'll have to ungzip it first).

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org