Re: sound on blade 100

Quoting Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk>:

> Is it possible to get sound working on a blade 100?  What looks like
> the relevant module for the audio isn't included in the 2.6.12
> package, at least, and when I built it separately I got garbage out of
> the headphones I connected.  The card is:
>
> Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller
> Audio Device (rev 01)

Dave,

I have sound working nicely on sunblade 100 debian/unstable using stock 2.6.13
kernel source from upstream the only configured change was to build module
snd_ali5451. I suppose it should work with the debian kernels just use modprobe
and make sure are soundcore and snd modules loaded too? See the list of
dependencies below.

For volume control I use the gnome desktop volume control set to ALI5451 Alsa
Mixer and turn all the volume controls to minimum then try increase PCM and
MASTER volume to get best results. It seems work fine with the oss mixer
selected too.

By the way it then works "out of the box" with vlc and mozilla plugins to play
from some broadcast video streams (windows media is ok but not real) and mov
files etc. and the sound effects (wav) from the desktop. But I could not get the
Java Media Framework fully operating with gij and havent tried any different
sounds such as mp3 yet.  anything with xine will just crash.

jim

jim@sun:~/ooo680/sal$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  286536  10
eth1394                23312  0
ohci1394               40016  0
ohci_hcd               20676  0
ieee1394              388520  2 eth1394,ohci1394
sungem                 34180  0
sungem_phy              9728  1 sungem
snd_ali5451            25064  2
snd_ac97_codec         96408  1 snd_ali5451
snd_pcm_oss            61856  1
snd_mixer_oss          19776  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               100425  3 snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              27080  1 snd_pcm
ide_cd                 46024  0
cdrom                  42600  1 ide_cd
snd                    58152  8
snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11208  2 snd
snd_page_alloc         12368  1 snd_pcm
ext3                  153104  3
jbd                    60848  1 ext3
ide_disk               18752  5
ide_generic             1536  0 [permanent]
alim15x3               13344  0 [permanent]
generic                 5764  0 [permanent]
evdev                  14336  0
jim@sun:~/ooo680/sal$