Re: An (flamebait ?) idea to preserve debian on sparc32...

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:23:05AM +0200, Romain Dolbeau wrote:

> 2) userland (mostly glibc) doesn't work on v7 hardware (all sun4 and
> sun4c arch, plus the SM100 modules on sun4m).

> So my idea is: why not go over to a kernel and libc that actually
> support all of the above ? Namely, the NetBSD kernel...

But the Debian NetBSD project is using GNU usersland, which should
include glibc, unless I'm greatly confused (which is certainly not out
of the question).  So if glibc is a problem....

There's also the Debian FreeBSD project, which isn't (from all
reports) quite as far advanced, but still might be worth a shot if
(and, I suppose, only if) glibc does indeed turn out to be a
showstopper for the Debian NetBSD/Sparc32 idea.

But heck, me and my SS5 are definitely in, whichever way we decide to
go.  I just got this thing.  Don't mind that it's obsolete, since it
was free, but it would be nice if it could end up helping Debian
somehow, since that's kinda why I got it for free.  :)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single