Re: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:48:42 +0100
Neil Pilgrim <debian-sparc@kepier.clara.net> wrote:

> more available too. I'm not sure how much memory they have, but perhaps
> the SS10/20 dimms that Eric Jorgensen advertised may work ok in them.

   I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of these dimms will only work in
the SS10 and possibly some oddball like the SparcServer 6xxMP line (but
even that i doubt).

   Some of them are Kingston branded and iirc are 50ns rather than the 60
and 70ns you usually see for an SS10. They may work in an SS20. I could
swear I heard that the only difference is the speed.

   At the moment, I actually don't know which dimms are in what machine.
512M of them are in a live server in coloc, the other several of them
(7-800 megs or so) are scattered between spare ss10's that I'm anxious to
get rid of. I also have an SS2 with 64 megs of 30 pin simms and a CG6 if
anybody really wants to go slumming. afaik it still works. I probably have
a CG3 or three too.

   Also two SM51's that probably work fine. The rest of the spare mbus
modules are sm31's.

   The point is, if the fast kingston dimms turn out to be in the live
machine, I'm not going to pull them for you. But if i migrate to a U5 in a
few months, they'll become available.

   I may have found a home for the pile of 'em, but I'd rather get SS10's
out my door with ram installed if i can. If you want one, you have to pick
it up in Utah, and in fact dangerously close to the SCO building.

   If anyone else is in the spirit of giving, the chemistry department at
the U of Texas at San Antonio needs SS5's (and ram, and drives, but just
sparcstation 5) as spares to drive NMR spectrometers. I can put you in
touch with the lab manager who needs them. Unfortunately they'll be running
Solaris, because the spectrometer vendor doesn't sell or support a control
application for any other OS.

   Sometimes obsolete hardware and software must live on simply because a
machine that cost a quarter of a million dollars can't function without
it.