Fwd: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

oops, hit 'reply' instead of 'reply-all', so forwarded...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tony Noble <tony.noble@gmail.com>
Date: Jul 26, 2005 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems
To: Steve <steve@lewis.it>

> > Sun4m is the last supported 32-bit sparc architecture.  Reportedly,
> > the 2.6 kernel does not work in multi-processor mode on them, and
> > dropping support of 2.4 from Etch is being discussed.
>
> Reportedly, current 2.6 kernels do not work *at all* on sun4m.  This
> according to Jurij Smakov, who appears to currently be the sparc kernel
> maintainer in Debian.
>
> > Note that lack of hardware is not the problem, if anyone wants some
> > sun4m systems (located in Los Angeles) let me know before they wind up
>
> > in the recycle pile.
>
> I have one here; works fine under sarge with a 2.4 kernel.  I have no
> intention of spending large amounts of my own time to keep 2.6 viable on
> this architecture, though, when as it stands the box I have is only
> powered up for use as a porting machine and it can't even be used to
> build Debian kernels because depmod bombs out.
>
> --
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Another sun4m user here.  I have sarge running with a 2.4 kernel on a
sparc classic.  Runs as a firewall / broadband router and the only
problems have been the glibc / 2.4 kernel cyclic dependancy idiocy.

Other than that, it's been solid as a rock - will be a shame to see
debian support for it dropped, as that'll pretty much just leave
Gentoo and when it takes a week to compile glibc, that's not much
fun...

Tony