Re: problems using a printer at my ultra5

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:13:20PM +0200, Dr. Zimmermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Id'd like to connect a printer (via parallel or usb connectors) to my
> ultra5.

<snip>

> USB:
> Trying the USB-port (cat ... > /dev/usb/lp0) transmits some data to the
> printer (i.e.
> 'data' light is blinking) - due to incomplete ioctl calls on sparc64
> linux I receive
> errors when I try printing using cups.
> (see also http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/11/msg00193.html)

FWIW: I didn't have any problems using a USB printer on both my Blade 100 and on
my Ultra 5 with USB card (both printers were HP inkjets). Parallel port seems
indeed broken (or, at least broken in early 2.6 kernels). I used cups in both
cases and I don't recall that I had to do anything special. Both machines used a
2.6 kernel.

It's been a long time though, and the Ultra 5 is broken now and the printer at
the Blade 100 is broken (and as they are quite some distance apart, I've decided
to not swap printers, unless I really need one, which hasn't occurred yet).

Admar