Re: Installation Problem on Sun Fire V240

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Ben Collins wrote:

So SILO from hd works, but SILO from cd doesn't? I can't think of anything
that is different when booting from CD other than the first stage
bootloader (which is pretty trivial).

The only thing could could possibly be the issue is something to do with
initrd. Maybe some bug haas crept in, maybe it's a memory mapping issue
particular to the III/IIIi's. Could be that SILO is writing the initrd
over top of the kernel or writing the value into the wrong place in the
kernel.

We have tried to do some debugging on a SunFire 280R which Andres Salomon has access to. It also displays the same bug (#261824 in BTS [0]). The conclusion there was that it does not even come to initrd loading. It dies in PROM when the command to open the cdrom is issued from SILO. I have tried to do some debugging on the PROM side (see the message before last in the bug trail), but I don't know how to monitor/intercept the calls to the PROM's entry point routine prom_cif_handler().

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/261824

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org