Re: Weird Mouse Behaviour with 2.6

If you are using a Sun serial keyboard & serial mouse attached via the keyboard, you might have the same problem I do. I am running a 2.6.8 kernel on an Ultra5 with a Type 6 (at least that's what's molded into the bottom of the keyboard) serial keyboard and a "crossbow" mouse attached to the keyboard. As discussed in some of the later messages in my "weird-o-rama..." thread just now, I can get the mouse to work in X only if I start the X server, then electrically unplug & reconnect the mouse to the keyboard. Then all works fine. I haven't tried to set up "console mouse services", since I don't really have much use for the mouse outside of X anyway. I'm not very comfortable disconnecting a powered-up mouse from the keyboard, because I'm not sure if this mouse is "hot pluggable" (e.g. PS/2 IS NOT hot-pluggalble AFAIK), but that's what I need to do to get it working. If anyone can tell me definitively whether or not the Sun serial mouse hot-pluggable, I'd really like to know.

The mouse stanza that works for me in XF86Config-4 is

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Sun Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
EndSection

Others seem to have success with other "Device" and/or "Protocol" settings.

It sounds like some kernel tweaking is needed here, but try this trick - it might get you going for now.

-Dan

Hi out there,

Basically my mouse works but only after using the following procedure:
a) boot Kernel 2.4
 Kindly ignoring the fact that the Keyboard and Mouse will not work
 because set-up for Kernel 2.6
 (IMHO the most useless change to the kernel ever)
b) reboot and use kernel 2.6.11 (or 2.6.8)
 got to ssh to the machine from a different box to reboot
 because the kernel handles the keyboard differntly
As said before after using this procedure the mouse works as expected even
after further reboots of 2.6.11.2 / 2.6.8-2.

    BUT:

When I cold start the machine and directly boot into Kernel 2.6.11, the
mouse will not work at all.
cat of /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouse0  does show no result

mdetect and hwinfo do still detect the mouse in /dev/input/mouse0

but cannot get it to work.

At the moment I suspect that the hardware is not initialised correctly and
after booting 2.4, 2.6 is more than happy to accept 2.4 has done the work
for it.

any ideas?

cheers
 Detlef