Re: Sun Blade 100 installation

  Moving this back to the list for discussion:

On March 15, 2005, Daniel_Lönn wrote:

> It's a balancing act, as always.
>
> J. David Blackstone skrev:
> >   Would it be better for me to try to run stable?
>
> I have no idea. Give it a try, it couldn't hurt.
>
>    My experience with Intel and PPC was that testing was usually good
> enough for my purposes and provided more frequent updates and bugfixes.
> That's my experience on x86 too. However, the sparc I use for Debian
> (ss5) simply couldn't run anything other than stable. It could
> technically, but I go with the good-old-tried philosophy. If that
> doesn't work, I'd use unstalbe/testing. Obviously, you've done that. Try
> stable.

  Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I am unable to identify a CD image within /debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc that I can use for a netinstall, and I cannot use the provided floppy disk images on a Sun Blade 100, nor can I use the TFTP netbooting files in my environment.

  Is there in existence a bootable Woody CD that I can use to do a net installation?  Can someone point me to where to find the file?

[time passes...]

  Ah, according to http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ : "Unfortunately, only "unofficial" images (by some Debian developers rather than the CD team) are available for the stable release."  And I check those pages and there are no Sparc images. :(

  So apparently it is quite impossible for me to install woody on a Sun Blade 100 without netbooting it.

  Any other ideas?

jdb