Re: what "java" to install

Your best bet is probably at ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/JDK-1.4.1/sparc/01/ -
Blackdown java 1.4.1 for sparc.  Beware, though - I had a problem
with runaway java_vm processes using this recently, though, so keep an eye
on your system.  Note that 1.4.2 is available, but does not include a
sparc release.

Blackdown claims they're working on Java 1.5.x for several different
architectures, including sparc.

--
Mike Edwards <sauron-debian-sparc@psychology.rutgers.edu>
System Administrator