Re: garbage output from PC104 USB keyboard on Ultra5 (PCI USB card), custom 2.6.8 kernel

> dpkg-reconfigure keybord-common
>
> will change the system keyboard map.  The 2.6 kernels require
> different keyboard maps than the 2.4 kernels.  (The 2.6 kernel remaps
> a sun keyboard to appear to be a pc keyboard.)

I didn't find any package named keyboard-common in the distro., but I did find
console-common, and tried 'dpkg-reconfigure' with that, both under the 2.4.22
kernel and (via a simple alias that I could type) under the 2.6.8 kernel.  In
both cases, the output was

    Looking for keymap to install:
    NONE

After doing this with the 2.6.8 kernel and rebooting, I have the same problem
with the keyboard.  It still works OK under the 2.4.27 kernel, though.

When I run aptitude, I find a package called 'console-keymaps', but it's
listed under "Virtual Packages", and it won't let me install it.

At http://packages.debian.org/testing/allpackages they list several packages
named console-keymaps-*, but they indicate that they are "debian-installer"
packages and on the description pages it says:

    Warning: This package is intended for the use in building debian-installer
    images only. Do not install it on a normal Debian system.

I have no idea how to proceed from here.

Thanks.

Dan