mouse resolution

Hello,

I've upgraded to the kernel 2.6.8. Accessing /dev/sunmouse resulted in
"No such device", so I created /dev/input/mouse0 as c 13:32 and
restarted gpm. Now the mouse cursor is moving very slowly relative to
the distance rolled. With 2.4, I needed 3.5 cm to move 1024 pixels
(vertically). With 2.6 I need more than 10 cm. I've tried playing with
gpm -r, but it doesn't seem to affect the resolution after a certain
limit.

I'm using Ultra 1E 143 MHz with Type 5 keyboard and mouse.

Besides, the middle button doesn't work under X (it works on the
console).

Any ideas?

Please cc to me, I'm not subscribed.

/etc/gpm.conf:

device=/dev/input/mouse0
responsiveness=4000
repeat_type=ms3
type=ps2
append=""
sample_rate=

The (hopefully) relevant section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "Microsoft"
        Option          "Buttons"               "3"
EndSection

Thanks in advance,
Baurjan.