garbage output from PC104 USB keyboard on Ultra5 (PCI USB card), custom 2.6.8 kernel

I am trying to get an Ultra5 going with a USB keyboard (MS Internet KB Pro)
and mouse (Kensington Expert Mouse Pro) so I can run it on the same USB KVM
switch that I have 2 PCs and a Mac on.  To get USB, I added a Belkin USB 2.0
PCI card.  It looks like I made it over the kernel compile hurdles (had to
compile a custom 2.6.8 kernel with full USB HID support built-in, sun KB &
mouse as modules).

Now, whenever I boot up with the new kernel, I get total garbage from the
PC104 USB keyboard.  It appears to me that all of the scan codes are
shuffled, from what I can tell, pretty much randomly.  I have this problem
despite the fact that I set the default runlevel to 3, so I don't use the X
server on boot.  Is there a config file somewhere that sets the keyboard
"rules" (as for XFree86, which has "type5" and "PC104" rulesets) for the
entire system, including text consoles?  I also remember reading somewhere
that a multimedia keyboard such as the MS Internet KB Pro shows up as more
than one device on the USB bus, supposedly one being the standard PC104 KB
and another being the collection of "hot keys".  Perhaps the system is using
the wrong "keyboard" for console input?  If so, how would I check/change
this?

When booted into the 2.6.8 kernel, I can type any characters that don't
require SHIFT to generate (I haven't figured out which key remaps to [SHIFT]
yet, although I guess I can if I try hard enough), and I can't type spaces.
So I'll have to alias any commands that need any of those characters while
running the 2.4.27 kernel, then reboot into the 2.6.8 kernel.  FUN.

In any case, I have no idea what files to look at or what commands to run in
order to even begin to solve this problem, so if anyone has any suggestions,
I'd be grateful.

Dan