Re: Installation Failing Sun V100

Hi Brandon,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Brandon Mercer wrote:

http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-cd/images/3.0_r2/sparc/debian-30r2-sparc-binary-1.iso
And what you just said doesn't make any sense. First off I'd like to state that debian is about the most disorganized distro/website/documentation mess I've ever seen. if you read this web page:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/  it tells you:
*If you just need an installation that works*, we recommend you use the rc2 release of the installer, after checking its errata <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata>. The following images are available for rc2:

Now, if you click the like:
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/rc2/sarge-sparc-netinst.iso
you can see very clearly that the image comes from cdimage-testing which DOES NOT USE the rc2 installer. I know because I've tried this image and it FAILS EVERY TIME. I don't understand why they recommend rc2 if you need an installer that works if that's what they're already using. (yes, I KNOW that this installer installs testing, but it doesn't make sense because testing doesn't use the rc2 installer. My feeling is that you should be testing ALL of the testing release).

Well, it seems a little frustrating if you don't know all the ins and outs :-). I'll try to explain how it works. The Debian's current stable version, which has codename 'woody' and version number 3.0, has been released a while ago. From time to time it's getting security updates, but no major changes, as such as Debian's policy. The updated versions are numbered 3.0r1, 3.0r2, etc. Note that it is 'r', not 'rc'. Currently Debian is in process of preparing another stable release, which will have the codename 'sarge' and version number 3.1. It has not been released yet, so currently 'sarge' is also referred to as 'testing' distribution, which will become the new 'stable' once its bugs are fixed and it is released. The RC2 (Release Candidate 2) version of the installer I was referring to is the one from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer. This is a more or less working snapshot of an installer which is going to be released when 'sarge' aka 'testing' will become 'stable', given that we will be able to fix (most of) the bugs. Currently all the efforts are concentrated on improving the 'sarge' installer, as the 'woody' installer will not be updated anymore. Note, that you should not submit the installation report with 'woody' installer, as it will not help to make the new installer any better. Does that make any sense? :-)

Ok, now about the installation. When I first booted the WOODY 3.0rc2 installation CD ISO IMAGE I did at the prompt:
linux ide=nodma
And after the initial reboot I did the same thing. This tells me that this buggy chipset is still buggy HOWEVER... my openbsd 3.6 didn't have ANY trouble getting itself installed so you developers CAN MAKE THIS BETTER!

This project is run by volunteers, donating their personal time and (generally, rather limited) resources. Personally, as much as I would like the installer and kernel to work better on Sun hardware, I don't have a possibility to purchase newer Sun machines just to be able to debug the installer and the kernel. And not 'you developers', but WE can make it better. As I don't have access to the hardware, I need to collect information first. Like, what images work, whether the problems are experienced with 2.4 or 2.6 kernels (or both), etc. On a few occasions now I have given you the exact URLs of the installation media I would like you to try, along with the pretty clear instructions on what to do and which information to collect. Every time you come back with a different report which I need to followup with additional questions just to extract any useful information from it. I have to admit, I've been not very successful with it so far.

Really, honestly, for as upset as I sound in this email I'm very thankful for your help, and having debian to work with. My frustration comes from the disorganization of this stuff. I will devote some efforts to helping other people figure out how to do what I'm doing and that is run a great, stable linux distro on sun hardware so they can kick butt on the web too. I will also do the report-template thingy so you guys have something to work with. Just so you konw I will have approximately 20 sun V100's running this so I will be more than happy to help you developers to get bugs knocked out.

This is very good, we really can use more testers, especially on the newer hardware. However, just popping a CD in and saying "I booted this thing and it died with an error, help!" without mentioning anything about the error is not constructive. If you want to be a really good tester and bug reporter, you should collect as much information as possible, enabling someone else with the similar hardware to at least reproduce the problem. Exact version of the installer used, various debugging information, relevant pieces from the logs, theories about possible bug origins - that's what I would like to see in a good bug report. I understand, that if you don't know anything about how things work, it might be tricky at first, but don't be afraid to ask (not necessarily on this list).

Thanks so much for your help,
Brandon

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org