Re:Hint needed: howto compile same kernel version

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Maarten Hotze wrote:

Hi,

I would like to make a small delta between running stable version
2.4.27-9 of the kernel and my 'to be compiled' kernel.

Don't know how to do it, as available kernel is 2.4.27-10. This is what I tried:
-Downloaded kernel-source-2.4.27-10-10sarge1 and kernel-headers-2.4.27-2-sparc64
-Made a link from ../include from kernel-source to the kernel-headers
-Used /boot/config-2.4.27-2-sparc64
-Compiled (oops, first pass forgot the --initrd), but my kernel has much different size than original one

What you need to do to build the kernel identical to the official one (well, almost identical, it is not going to be byte-by-byte identical due to timestamps and stuff like this):

# Get the source package
apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc
# Get the dependencies
apt-get build-dep kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc
# Start the build
cd kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc-2.4.27
fakeroot debian/rules binary

If this procedure fails, then it's definitely a bug. Note that you have to do your build on a sarge system. This will build the binary kernel packages for all supported sparc flavours (sparc32, sparc64, sparc64-smp), which takes a long time. If you only want to build the sparc64 kernel image, you can do it by setting the flavours variable:

fakeroot debian/rules flavours=sparc64 binary

I remember this used to work before, but it has been a while since I've fiddled with 2.4.x kernels, so YMMV.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org