Re: Enterprise 4000 setup

Bryan Schmidt <Bryan.Schmidt@area101.com> wrote:

> I am trying to setup an Enterprise 4000 server with 4 (166Mhz) CPU's and
> 1Gb memory but I cannot even get the setup kernel to start.  I do "boot
> cdrom" and get the following error.
>
> Allocated 8 megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
> virt)...
> Remapping kernel... Illegal instruction

Could be anything, from unsupported to faulty hardware. I'd give a shot
at shuffling memory around, to see if one or more stick are faulty.
Also, try a complete HW check in the prom (there used to be a 'test-all'
command in the openboot console, maybe it's available on the E4000 ?)

good luck,

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain@dolbeau.org>