Re: Remote printing from a Solaris box to a remote Debian-CUPS server (SOLVED)

Richard Mortimer wrote:

> You might also want to look in /var/log/lpr.log

Thank you very much, Richard and Steffan you pointed me to the right
direction. I feel rather ashamed and still cannot believe how stupid I
am. But I learned a lot about printing and networking. Without your
precious help, however, I wouldn't have succeeded. The point was: I
named the printer on Debian-system "ljet4p", but called the print queue
on SolarisBox "rljet4p". A look in "/var/log/lpr.log" on Debian-system
clarified the situation (thanks to Richard).

Debian-system:# tail -f /var/log/lpr.log
Aug 18 10:14:50 Debian-system cups-lpd[540]: Connection from
SolarisBox.meineDomaene.de (<IP-address>)
Aug 18 10:14:50 Debian-system cups-lpd[540]: Receive print job for
rljet4p
Aug 18 10:14:51 Debian-system cups-lpd[540]: Unknown destination
rljet4p!
Aug 18 10:14:51 Debian-system cups-lpd[540]: Closing connection

A change of the print queue name from "rlet4p" to "ljet4p" remedied the
defects. Now, all works just fine and I am happy.

During browsing the net I came across an article that shed some light on
the printing mechanism of the Solaris OS:

 http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/basicprinting.html

Although it wasn't useful for my problem, I consider it quite
instructive.

Again, thanks a lot

Cheers
Friedhelm