Keyboard and mouse settings for X

Hi,
I have installed Debian 3.1 on an Ultra 10 with a Sun Type 6 keyboard
(non-USB).  The mouse plugs in to the keyboard.  The keyboard works fine
at the console and the mouse was detected during X setup, but neither
works at the Gnome login screen.  The key mapping is completely screwed up
so I can't even log in and the mouse is completely unresponsive.  Does
anyone know what settings I need to get the kb and mouse to work?
Thanks,
Mangala Sadhu Sangeet Singh