Re: Installation Problem on Sun Fire V240

So SILO from hd works, but SILO from cd doesn't? I can't think of anything
that is different when booting from CD other than the first stage
bootloader (which is pretty trivial).

The only thing could could possibly be the issue is something to do with
initrd. Maybe some bug haas crept in, maybe it's a memory mapping issue
particular to the III/IIIi's. Could be that SILO is writing the initrd
over top of the kernel or writing the value into the wrong place in the
kernel.

Quick test of this would be to see if you could boot from CD with no
initrd and mounting a hd for root.