Re: sunpci under linux ??

On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:17:26 -0700 (PDT)
<foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now this does bring up another issue, to wit: what could he do if he
> did not know that some code was created through the study of Sun code?

Many years ago Sun told me they might be willing to write
a proprietary binary-only Linux driver for the sunpci
card, but were totally unwilling to release the specs for
the chip so that a free driver could be done.

So, it's pretty clear they want to keep the technology
secret, so any sunpci driver I'd tend to keep out of the tree.

For other instances, when people submit code they provide a
"Signed-off-by:" line, which means that they are stating that
the code is in the clear as far as they know.  Which means that
the onus is on them to make sure that the patch they are submitting
is OK.