Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 14:41 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 28 April 2005 02:35, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:
> - the 1st partition is required to start on sector 0;
> - bootloader and disklabel info is written to the first sectors of
>   the disk;
> - _all sectors_ of a linux swap partition are used for swap and so
>   may be overwritten when the partition is formatted or used.
> Conclusion: don't put swap (or RAID or LVM) at the beginning of a Sun
> disklabel disk!

A related warning about the end of the disk...

RAID or LVM (cannot remember which or if it both) should not extend to
the very end of the disk. If you do that the "backup" (whole disk)
partition gets recognised as RAID or LVM and horrible things happen - I
learned this the hard way!

Richard

--
Richard Mortimer <richm@oldelvet.org.uk>