Re: WG: Re: Bits (Nybbles?) from the Vancouver release team meeting

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:35:37 -0700 (PDT)
<foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What kind of benchmark did you run?
> It would be sort of silly if I didn't do a similar test.

/sbin/hdparm -t /dev/hda

which does an uncached O_DIRECT 20MB read from the IDE
disk, it's the real disk bandwidth not a cached number.

Also, try "/sbin/hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 -X34 /dev/hda" if
the performance stinks even worse than the 6.6MB I'm
getting.  DMA tends to not get enabled by default unless
the disk is in the IDE layer white list, the Seagate's
that came standard in Ultra5 and Ultra10 systems just
so happen to be in that white list.