Re: rtc and chrony on Ultra 1 and Ultra 5

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:57:43 +0200
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> Apr 19 22:32:32 localhost kernel: Real Time Clock Driver v1.12
> <about 30 lines skipped>
> Apr 19 22:32:32 localhost kernel: rtc: unable to get misc minor for Mostek
>
> So, the patch looks to work. Nice one!
> Is this last line a problem?

Actually, I take all of what I just said back.

Things should have been fine before, if drivers/char/rtc.c doesn't
see the device, drivers/sbus/char/rtc.c will register itself so you
will have a fully functioning /dev/rtc device.

That "cannot find PC rtc device" message can be safely ignored.

You should not use the patch I posted, because drivers/char/rtc.c
does not program Mostek chips correctly, it may even scramble your
eeprom.

chrony probably only knows about the drivers/char/rtc.c ioctl calls,
not the ones provided by Sparc's drivers/sbus/char/rtc.c driver (RTC_SET
and RTC_GET).  You can look in the util-linux sources to see how these
two sets of ioctls() are probed for, /sbin/hwclock knows how to do it
for example.