Re: Sun hardware questions...

> SunPCi™ PC co-processor card, in an Ultra 5 ?
>
> I don't know where to begin, and i don't even have one, but the idea
> sounds good :-)
>
> Is there some info docs anyhere on what and how this card can be put to
> work ? is it just for solaris, or can it be talked to/booted from the PROM?
http://www.vdberg.org/~richard/Linux-on-SunPCi-mini-Howto/
might answer some questions.  In short it's a separte machine and you
need the Sun utility to kick it into life / do some things.  Not sure if
the app will run in the Solaris emulation mode that Linux/SPARC has, I'd
guess not as it probably requires some sort of kernel support.

> Also, i understand an ultra 5 has a PCi bus, does this mean one could
> plug-in a usb card (and get it to work with linux), amongst other things.
Yes.  I have a printer running off this set up at the moment.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--
Martin