Framebuffer console not restored correctly after X server abort

Hi, all!

When I tried to get DRI working, I made a few (lots in fact :-) )
tries involving starting and stopping gdm. I found that when the
xserver aborts violently (complaining about no screen founds and
things like that), frequently the framebuffered console is not
restored correctly (the screen can become written black on green -
ugly - or darkdarkdark blue on black - unreadable-). Is there a way to
workaround that whitout rebooting the machine (POST is slow ;-) )
The config is an quad Ultra 80 running sid with debian 2.6 SMP kernel
and a creator3D.

NB:
1/ Before switching to grey X screen when launching gdm, the console
becomes "normal" again (white on black) but when I quit, it goes back
bad.
2/ The problem doesn't seem to occur on 2.4 debian kernel.

--
F.