Re: install on Sun Blade 100

> is Debian SPARC reliable as a production system or are there a pile of issues?

> just looking to run a basic Internet server - httpd and sshd

Anthony,

As mentioned before I have sarge running on an ultra 5. It runs flawlessly. (I'm using it now, it's my main machine :-)) My blade is sitting over on the other side of the room with a pile of intel boxen. I'll start playing with it again in a week or two. (need a serial cable a bigger hard drive, to run as a local server) Most of the other boxes have x86 debian.

As for debian on sparc being production reliable, the debian-sparc port is just that - a port. The only different part is the adaptation (or port) the the 64bit sparc processor. (essentially just a different kernel) The rest of the system is just what we're used to - plain old debian and we all know how reliable that is. ;-)

The sun hardware (blade, ultra 5,10 etc) are sun's atempt at a workstation class of computer. They are still basically server hardware. As such, they are impeccably built and are as robust and solid as any server.

A sun blade 100 set up as an internet/intranet or whatever server would seem an ideal solution.

I've googled a link or two that may help.

http://www.de-brauwer.be/docs/debian_on_sun.html

http://040.digital-bless.com/texts/installing_debian_linux_on_sun_netra_x1.html

http://040.digital-bless.com/texts/Unofficial_Sun_Blade_100_FAQ.htm

http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2003/10/msg00135.html