Printer on parallel port on Ultra 1

Hi,

can anyone tell me why the parallel port of my Ultra Sparc is unavailable?

I installed a fresh debian testing (sarge) (Linux version 2.4.27-1-sparc64) on my headless machine. I chose the task "print server", but when I tried to print, I can not address the parallel port.

During the boot process I receive the message:
" Starting printing system service: cups "
" lp: driver loaded but no devices found "

Doing a
"cat /etc/passwd > /dev/lp0"
returns
"/dev/lp0: no such device or address" ,
although the device exists:
" ls -la /dev/lp0"
" crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2004-09-18 17:18 /dev/lp0"

Do I need a new customized kernel?

I would like to hear from people who have succeeded setting up a parallel printer port.

Thank you
Friedhelm