Re: How do I use local fibre disks attached in the FC-AL of the Sun E-3500?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Henrique Carvalho - SERSUT/SUTEC/SEIN wrote:

Hi Jurij,

 At moment installation the debian not recognized the disks that are
attached in the FC-AL, I received the message "disk drive not found" in
the moment of "Partition Disk".

Henrique Carvalho

Hello,

According to google, the built-in FC controller on E3500 requires socal driver. It is either not included in the installer, or installer does not associate your hardware with it properly (or both). So, you can try the following:

* Continue the installation until you get the "no disks found" message.
* Use the "Go Back" button to get to the installer's main menu.
* Find "Start a shell" option and select it.
* Check what FC driver modules are available by looking in
  /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-sparc64/kernel/drivers/fc4
  (this assumes that you are using the RC2 version of the installer from
  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer)
* If it contains the socal.o file, just try doing 'modprobe socal'. That
  should load the socal module and hopefully make your disks visible.
  You can tell whether detection have succeeded by looking at the
  /dev/discs/ directory. If there are entries there or messages in kernel
log (use dmesg to check them), then everything is fine. * If there is no modules there, you can download them from my site:

  wget http://www.wooyd.org/debian/modules/socal.o

  You might need fc4.o and/or soc.o as well. Again, those are the modules
  compatible with RC2 installer version. Use insmod/modprobe to load them.
* If some combination of these modules makes it work, return to the
  installer's menu and retry partitioning. Disks should be visible.
* Submit the installation report detailing your experiences (including
  the information about the modules you've used to make it work and the
  output of lspci command) using the template at

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Good luck,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org