Re: How to use 200 GB Disk on Ultra10?

For what it's worth, I agree 100% with your conclusions below. LBA48 IS
NOT GUARANTEED to function reliably without a proper drive, controller,
and kernel. Additionally, if you want to boot in LBA48 mode you need a
bootable LBA48 IDE controller and/or suitable BIOS.

I think we have settled this issue once and for all.

--- Meelis Roos <mroos@linux.ee> wrote:
<SNIP>
> MJT> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.3/0484.html
> MJT>
> MJT> According to it, you should be able to use the drives in your
> MJT> U10, but not boot from them (the kernel doesn't use the PROM
> MJT> after the boot process and most modern kernels support LBA48).
>
> That's not so simple.

</SNIP>

<SNIP>
> For U5/U10 the problem lies in the IDE controller - the integrated
> controller does not support LBA48 in DMA mode. And that's it. Not a
> driver problem but a hardware limitation.
>
> Use a PCI IDE controller for the bigger disks but boot from the
> integrated one since ypu probably can't find a PCI IDE controller
> with
> Sparc OpenFirmware ROM that is needed for booting from this device.
</SNIP>