Re: Sarge sparc netinstall rc2 bugs report

Hi Fred,

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Fred Rochet wrote:

Hello all,

I tested Sarge netinstall rc2 on an Ultra60 (Dual processor, 2GB RAM)
I downloaded
http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sarge_d-i/sparc/rc2/sarge-sparc-netinst.iso
(112 MB)
Installation is OK (Partitioning, etc...)

But when I reboot the workstation, here is the message that I have got:

Reboting with command: boot disk1
Boot device: /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@1,0 File and args:
SILO Version 1.4.8
boot:
Allocated 8Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
Uncompressing image...
Loaded kernel version 2.4.27
virt)...
\
Remapping the kernel... Booting Linux
Starting CPU 2... Illegal Instruction
{2} ok

The messages 'Starting CPU 2...' clearly comes from the kernel (arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c). I do not own any SMP hardware myself, so I wonder whether 2.4.27 SMP kernels work for someone else on Ultra? As a workaround you may try installing uniprocessor kernel. For that you need to go to the installer's main menu and lower the debconf priority. Then, after the base install you should be prompted for kernel to install, giving you a choice of UP and SMP.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org