Re: Ultra 30 Sarge boot problem

Hello.

Try fixing the boot-device variable in Open PROM, also google around a
bit for some information. I had this problems and it's really easy to
fix. I think you just have to change the device alias to point at the
'e' partition of your hard disk.

Alternatively, you can edit /etc/silo.conf and change the place where
the boot loader is being placed to make it go to the MBR of the disk
instead of a partition. Frankly, this is a more elegant and easy
solution because the boot loader really should be in the MBR anyways.

Also if "boot disk" works, your boot disk is properly called 'disk'
with the device aliasing. So perhaps just your boot-device variable is
set to  something bogus; i.e., not to just 'disk'.

A little investigation will make it possible for you to fix it all, I
suspect. Just look at it and think a while and it will work. I had the
same problem on my SPARC and got it to work eventually.