Re: sudden lockups w/ 2.4.26 on an E450

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:27:33AM -0500, Mike Edwards wrote:

>When the box first hangs, I've noticed that it will still respond to ping.
>In addition, one can connect to ports that are open - however, the services
>using those ports never respond.

In my experience that's the hallmark of runaway resource consumption
under Linux. Is anything useful going into the logs before they lock up
completely? Are you in a position to track incoming connections to the
box? Or even just to run top on it and see what's taking resources when
it freezes?

>Typically, nothing is printed on the console when the lockup occurs.
>With the last one, though, I found the following message:
>request_module[net-pf-10]: fork failed, errno 1

Definitely sounds like resource exhaustion (memory/swap or process
table).