klogd-issue with System.map / size limitation for memory allocation on SMP-kernel

Dear listmembers,
If this is a bounce - sorry - it seemed to be impossible to get that email to the list!
a new week, (propably ...) new luck. I used to ask for the (apparent) klogd - issue. After some debugging work I figured out (by the help of Richard Mortimer) that I am hitting on a SMP problem. The allocation of sufficient memory for reading System.map fails. The error happens within the function sys_get_kernel_symbols.

I had been wrongly looking into linux/kernel/modules.c at first, but today I modified linux/arch/sparc64/kernel/sys_sparc32.c, and I found it.

What I found is that the allocation works up to 1820 elements of the size 72 Bytes, however, we would need a tiny little more (1843 in my case, please take a look into the attachement).

Nevertheless: I cannot understand this, this must be related to some limitations to - well, to what? I want 132696 byte of ram, but get only 1820*72=131040. Am I right to assume a limit 2^17 here - for whatever reason I do not know.

Please take a look into the attached excerpt of /var/log/messages and the patch I have been integrating into linux/arch/sparc64/kernel/sys_sparc32.c

Can this be modified by changing some kernel parameters? Where does this limitation stem from?
Many thanks for any inputs,
take care

Dieter Jurzitza

HARMAN BECKER AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Jurzitza
Manager Hardware Systems
   System Development

Industriegebiet Ittersbach
Becker-Göring Str. 16
D-76307 Karlsbad / Germany

Phone: +49 (0)7248 71-1577
Fax:   +49 (0)7248 71-1216
eMail: DJurzitza@harmanbecker.com
Internet: http://www.becker.de

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.