silo problem?

Hi

A weird thing happened today. This morning, my Sun Ultra 5, running
debian unstable, booted fine like it always did. I upgraded the system
since it was a week old. A few hours later I had to reboot since a
process was misbehaving and couldn't be killed - not even with kill
-KILL. When the open boot had passed, it suddenly said 'The file just
loaded does not appear to be executable'. Booting with 'boot disk0:1'
gave the same message (while I am sure that was the right boot disk).

I decided to do a netboot since I had a woody netboot image laying
around somewhere. I mounted the root disk, chrooted into it, downloaded
silo 1.4.8-1 (the latest in unstable - same as in testing), and
reinstalled it. After that, the system booted again like nothing
happened.

I am sure I didn't upgrade my kernel today and I'm quite sure silo
wasn't upgraded either, since silo in testing is the same as silo in
unstable. Is there somebody here who can tell me what was going on?

Best regards

Admar