Re: Debian Sparc 3.0r2 on Ultra60

Hi,  I've probably missed something obvious here, so please don't be
*too* offensive, but any help would be much appreciated.

The problem:  Booting a sparc classic from a 2.6 kernel is causing me grief.

The details:

The machine is a sparc classic, with 80 meg of memory and a 4 gig disk.

Initially installed from the woody CD, giving me a 2.2 kernel.  I then
added unstable to my sources list, installed the 2.4.26 kernel, then
ran a dist-upgrade, then installed the 2.4.27 kernel (having
previously been caught out by the 2.4.27 / glibc upgrade loop).

Before anyone asks, I have a 20 meg /boot partition with silo.conf
living in it, so the machine can boot properly.

I then ran apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-sparc32, which installed a
2.6.8 kernel no problem.  Added the relevant kernel and initrd entries
to silo.conf, sunlance to /etc/modules and rebooted.

What happens next is that the machine appears to boot - the image is
uncompressed and the ram disk loaded.  Unfortuantely the screen then
goes blank.  As far as I can tell, it starts up, but doesn't respond
to the keyboard either (blindy logging in and trying a shutdown
doesn't work).  Hitting <stop><a> and then typing "boot" (still blind)
will reset the machine.  Just before it completely resets, the screen
comes back and you can see the dmesg output + a login prompt in the
background, which is what makes me think it booted properly.

Anyone know what I've missed?

Cheers,

Tony