Stock kernel issue

Does anyone know *why* all the stock kernels in Debian for ultras
later than 2.2.1 give a neither SBUS nor PCI found error on an
UltraSparc AX motherboard?  I've tried the phunnypharm kernels too,
with the same result.

I was going to try compiling my own kernel, but I'm getting the
"kernel too old" error message when I try to compile a 2.4
kernel.

The ultimate goal is to see if a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel will allow the
use of all of the 40GB ide hard drive I have available for the system.

Thanks,

Pat

--

Patrick Ouellette