Re: Ultra 5 silo installation problem

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 10:56:18AM -0400, John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:07:19PM -0400, John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to install Debian 3.0 on an Ultra 5.  After installing the base
> >> packages, the machine says that Silo will be installed, but it keeps on
> >> failing.  This is what it says:
> >>
> >> "Silo wasn't able to install.  You'll still be able to boot your system if
> >> you create a boot floppy, but it won't be able to boot without a floppy."
> >>
> >> I can't get the machine to create a boot disk either.  I know the drive
> >> works OK.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?  The kernel version is 2.4.18.
> >> Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > At http://bugs.debian.org/271477 is succesfull report of an installation
> > with the installer that will be used in in Debian 3.1.
> >
> > My advice is that you use the new Debian Installer.
> > And I'm curious if you will encounter http://bugs.debian.org/267428
> > which is also about a "conflict" of Ultra 5 and silo.
> >
> >> Thanks in advace.
> > Feedback is always good.
> >
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the pointers, but I still think something is wrong.  I created
> a cd image from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ the
> installation went fine until once again, silo wouldn't install.  It gave
> me a silo error code of 1.  I used the sarge debian installer image,
> should I use one of the daily build images instead?  Any help again would
> be appreciated.  :-)

Recently I saw a simular message.
I adviced to follow the defaults of the Debian Installer [1]
It was replied with "now it works". ((sorry)no details where included)

> Any help again would be appreciated.  :-)
Feedback is allways welcome.

> Cheers,
>
> John

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] much of the research of d-i is in sane defaults

P.S.
Allow people that use the archive (Google is their friend)
to read the text in the sequence as it was written.
In otherwords: Please reply below the text