Re: debian on a Sun Netra 1125

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:11:23 +0200
"Daniel J. Priem" <devel@walki.homelinux.org> wrote:

> What can you say about the performance of this machine.
> how fast is it?
> like a duro 1800 or what. i only know that a sparc is about Mhz*3=i386

If you want good performance don't get a Sparc :-)

I also heavily disagree with that Mhz formula, if I had
to give one I'd give something closer to mhz*1.5 at best.
But with the speed the main busses are getting on x86
these days, that multiplier is getting smaller and smaller.
And the x86 uses memory much better than sparc due to the
increased code density the x86 CISC instruction set has.

It's amusing, the things that people said was a large
disadvantage, turns out the be a huge benefit. :-)