Re: [debian-sparc] Re: Still-OT: nvram and firmware passwords

Bonsoir,

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Martin wrote:

> > Well, I've googled, googled the list archives and searched the Sun
> > forums to little avail.
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips for bypassing the nvram firmware password,
> > short of replacing the nvram module?
> >
> > I'm learning (the hard way) what I should've looked for before jumping
> > on a "good" deal. :-)
> Forgive me if I seem a little cynical but a 'bargin' machine with an
> NVRAM password that the seller doesn't know sounds a little like
> something that has been 'borrowed' from it's original owner.

Not always. Some machine are installed with an OPB password, and since
these beasts can run continously for several months/years, it is possible
that the knowledge of the password gets lost if the machine gets to be
rebooted...

--
Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
-----