Re: Upgraded to testing, now xserver freezes

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:40:35PM -0700, Joubin Moshrefzadeh wrote:
> Ok, I successfully had stable running on my Ultra 5 with no problems
> for a few months. But I was a bit disappointed with the age of some of
> the apps, so deciding between backports and going to testing, I chose
> the latter route.
>
> So following the instructions at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html I
> proceeded, having to (re)issue apt-get -f install several times when
> the upgrade would stop with some error, and then (re)issue  apt-get -t
> testing dist-upgrade... etc. Anyway, after some time and several
> cycles through this process, I the upgrade ended with no reported
> errors... great!!

This process is usually easier if you don't install anything
beforehand.. :-)

> However, now.. after startx, I get the gray thatch screen and I can
> see my mouse (which responds to mouse movements) but thats it... the
> window manager never comes up (before the KDE window showing whats
> being loaded would come up at this point, but no more). if I ssh in, i
> see the following processes:

what processes?

If your mouse is moving, then this sounds like a KDE problem, and not an
X problem.  Check your ~/.xsession-errors, and try installing some other
windowmanager(apt-cache showpkg x-window-manger) and see how that works.

--
-Justin