[newbie] Installation problems

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Linux in general, and having been given a SPARCstation 20 recently, decided it was time to dive in at the deep end :-) Never used any Sun machines either, but the hardware seemed fun, and ideal to play with as a general-purpose private server.

So I download the stable CD images and burn them up; the installer boots fine, then complains about a 'missing magic number' on the boot disk, and adds:

Partition check:
sda: unknown partition table

I figured this was since it was a new HDD (the machine used to run headless and boot off a network, from what I can gather), so I booted into a single-user Solaris CD and formatted it, figuring this would sort out any incorrect partitioning (or lack thereof).

After that, OpenBoot would fail when trying to boot off the disk, claiming 'The file just loaded does not apear to be executable' (unsurprising), so I ran the installer again.

Now it fails saying:

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy
floppy0: WARNING disk change called early
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem

mount -t ufs -o ufstype=sun|sunx86|44bsd|old|nextstep|netxstep-cd|openstep...

WARNING<<< wrong fstype may corrupt your filesystem, default is ufstype=old
ufs_read_super: bad magic number
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 02:00
Press L1-A to return to the boot PROM

...what do I do now? I was hoping it would all happen automagically until I got to a usable kernel...I can drive it from there, but at the moment I'm floundering slightly. All suggestions welcome, thanks :-)

Nick

Get a FREE connection, FREE modem and one month's FREE line rental, plus a US or European flight when you sign up for BT Broadband! http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband