Re: Debian Sparc installer with raid 1 support

I have been using some of the latest installers and notice that there is now an option within the partitioning menu to create software raid, when I select this option I am told that the kernel does not support it.

I'm using Linux software raid1 on a SparcStation 20 with 2 4.5GB SCA disks. It seems to run fine, except that the machine has to resync the root raid with every single boot, and also that SILO bails when booting from the scsi disks.

My SILO config is as follows:

partition=1
root=/dev/md0
timeout=100

image=1/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only

image=1/vmlinuz.old
label=linux.old
read-only

image=1/vmlinuz.rescue
label=rescue
read-only

When I boot it gets as far as SI and then says "Program Terminated". I'm able to boot the machine by using SILO from the debian CD in a somewhat ingenious workaround:

boot cdrom /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0;1/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 ro

I'm also having big problems with kernels that can be booted, I tried using the debs from http://osinvestor.com/sparc/ but they wont boot at all.

Thanks in advance.

---
James Whatever
My niece called me "Uncle Robot" on the weekend!
Giant Robot Ltd, http://www.giantrobot.co.nz/