X Window No Refresh on UltraSparc 5

I am running Debain Woody 3.0 r3 on a Sun UltraSparc 5 with 128Mb RAM, 8Gbyte hard disk.
I am running GNOME window manager.

I previously had the same problem on a Ultra 1 with 128Mb RAM, so I do not think this is
a hardware or hardware related problem.

The problem is with SoundTracker, a GTK audio application, and as I say, I have had the same
problem with totally different hardware. I have compiled the software myself, but without
the gnome canvas flavour, it just has gtk and glib (and audiofile).

Running the software, there is no screen update, the screen is drawn, but when the
software is running, there is no screen update, nothing moves or changes at all on
the SoundTracker Window. It has options for specifying the update rate of maybe
40 frames a second. It is like there is no update or redraw or refresh of window.

After the software has been running for a while, with the display not updated at
all at any point, the software starts running very slowly, breaking up as if resources
are becoming exausted.

Any help very gratefully received, else I will have to use Solaris.

Yours Nicholas White

Capital One Classic
Mastercard
60 second