Re: Cannot boot 2.6.8 kernel from ext3 root partition on Ultra5

Hi,

you should compile the IDE disk stuff directly into the kernel, Ultra-5's
are IDE based:

[del]
>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
># CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set

With this, the kernel can't even load the initrd, as it is on a disk.

[del]

This should also be compiled in:

>CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=m
>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
># CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ is not set
># CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD is not set
>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=m
[del]

and THIS must be compiled in, else all others will fail. The CMD646
chipset is buggy as hell and, unfortunatly, used in Ultra-5's:

>CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X=m
[del]

I haven't checked the rest of the config closely, but I haven't found
any other problems,

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
Stormweg 24               |listening to: Suicide Drive (The Deep Eynde)