raid-5

Okay, I am trying to run Raid 5 software on an E250.....mdadm.   I have got the commands down with the help of some people on the web.  I am having a problem though.  How do I pull my active drive into the array, or do I need to do it some other way.  I have 4 drives so it wouldn't be a problem.   Here is what I start with

mdadm -Cv /dev/md0 -n3 -l5 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
After that I get an inode is active error, or something similar, which I realize that it is, and I need to figure out how to fix it.  I tried to raid out my three empty drives but gave me an error about the array...Can't remember that one offhand  so what am I doing wrong here?  Also, with 1 gig of ram, do I need a swap partition?  I know that isn't part of the original question but that would be one less partition to set up raid for if I didn't have it.  Thanks.

Huston