Re: Circular Dependency libc6 and kernel-image-xx

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 05:03:53PM -0800, Ian wrote:
> Alrite, so how do I install 2.4.27-sparc32-smp kernel image that needs
> an initrd image made? Debian's mkinitrd package requires libc6, which
> requires the new kernel. Can I download a initrd.img from somewhere and
> throw it in my /boot?

Here's what i did:

 Downloaded libc6 debian package and extracted it in /tmp
 (this will create data.tar.gz and control.tar.gz).

  $ cd /tmp
  $ ar xvf libcl6.whatever.version.deb

 Get root and change to '/'. Now extract data.tar.gz

  # tar xvzf /tmp/data.tar.gz

 Carefull, this will overwrite whatever get's in it's way.
 Messy. But now you have a newer version of libc6 in place.

 Now install mkinitrd/modutils etc. by downloading the debian
 packages and installing them with:

 # dpkg --force-depends -i packge.deb

 (which will turn dependency problems into mere warnings).

 Now, once you have all tools installed you can actually install
 a newer kernel (installation will create an initrd image for
 you, this is why you need libc6 and the tools).

 Now, with your new kernel installed (didn't forget to add that
 initrd image to your silo conf, did you?), reboot.

 Once your box is up again (and we shure hope it'll get through
 this) you need to do:

 # apt-get install -f --reinstall libc6....

 (to have all the proper pre/post-install scripts run).

 HTH and don't blame me if things don't work out smooth :-)

    Ralf Mattes