RE: Got sound going on a U60 debian smp

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:45:06PM -0300, Marcelo Lopes wrote:
>  Steve,
>
> I'm having a similar problem with my Ultra10+Sarge (2.4.26).
>
> I've loaded CS4231 module in modconf and it works fine with mpg123,
> but when I load X ( KDE ), I receive the message :
>
> "Sound server fatal error:
> AudioSubSystem::handleO: write failed
> Len=-a.can_write=8192,errno=11(Resource temporarily
> unavailable)
>
> This might be a sound hardware/driver specific problem ( see aRts FAQ)"
>
> Do you know what's happening ?

Two programs fighting for access to the device?
- No, I just use mpg123 to test the sound BEFORE start KDE

Does your KDE session try to start a sound server? (i'm not a KDE user, but
the big desktop environments try to do this so they can emit silly sounds
for each user action). The error message seems to come from the aRts daemon
- Correct, the error appears when KDE tries to start aRts daemon, but I
don't know how to correct it.

Are there any other sound programs running while this happens?
Nothing more is running at the same time. My services list is bellow when I
try to start X manually.

ultra10:/etc/default# ps -A
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:08 init