Re: FW: Install help for sparc

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 20:40, Mike Noonan wrote:
> I have spent too many hours trying to get through the hard drive
> partitioning and formatting process for loading debian linux on my
> ultraSparcII machine with no success...
>
> My system has three IBM DNES-309170 9GB SCSI-SE drive in it...  which are
> seen when the system boots, but when I try and calculate the disk space from
> the C*H*S*512 formula given by the online fdisk docs, the size does not
> match up to what i would expect...  this is the first problem.
>
> If I ignore this "problem" (which i know sholdn't be ignored) I cannot
> figure out how to set the linux partitions...
>
> If anyone can offer up any guidance I would be very happy...  especially if
> it meant that I could move on from this nightmare of a problem and get this
> system up and running.

Good source:

  http://www.unixguide.net/sun/manager/5.1.shtml

points to this compilation of geometries

  ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sunmanagers/format.dat

which contains an entry for this drive:

# From a contributer at Center for Space Research, MIT:
# According to scsiinfo-4.6:
disk_type = "IBM DNES-309170" \
	: ctlr = SCSI : fmt_time = 18 \
	: trks_zone = 5215 : atrks = 0  : asect = 0  \
	: ncyl = 11195 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 11474 : nhead = 5 : nsect = 320 \
	: rpm = 7200 : bpt = 188160

These parameters yield about 8.5 x 1024**3 bytes.  That's correct for a
drive advertised as 9.1 gigabytes using gigabyte=1000**3.

-- SP